nov 25 food

I'm in NYC with my best friend and her family, staying in a hotel.

Breakfast:   banana, 2 oz nuts

Lunch:  Large orange, apple, banana, lots of grapes while walking all over the city.  got over-full with the grapes.    I brought the oranges, apples, bananas and nuts, and we bought the grapes at a fruit stand.  They weren't nearly as good as the ones I get from my co-op.  People complain that organic costs more but it really does taste better.  Same goes for the bananas.  I brought the organic ones from my co-op and had one for breakfast, then had one from the hotel at lunch and it wasn't nearly as good.

Dinner:  splurge at Gobo restaurant.  It was very good and I think worth going off plan for.  Had tastes of appetizers--edamame (with salt), vietnamese spring rolls, and the scallion pancakes were the best (probably fried).  Oh they brought out bread and pumpkin spread which I ate and it was enjoyable.  They had great juice and smoothie drinks.  I had a carrot, apple, ginger drink that was great.  My neighbor had a carrot, apple, spinach, parsley drink (I think) that we agreed was even better and we were surprised.  The juice drinks were way better than alcohol!  very energizing!  For my main course I had white bean, root vegetable and pumpkin soup; and spinach salad with mango and crisp onions.  If I were to go there again I think I'd try a couple of small plates--eggplant with string beans in basil sauce, and there were several others that looked really good.   Then we shared 7 desserts between the 8 of us.  That was definitely off-plan (off the Fuhrman healthful eating plan which I'm a total believer in now), but it was enjoyable trying out all the desserts.   I had the mango, coconut and tapioco pudding mostly and then bites of the others.   Next time I might try the apple pear crisp--I didn't get a bite of that one.  I enjoyed the bites of the chocolate cake and pear with the chocolate ganach inside, but wouldn't want to eat the whole thing.  I had sips of a neighbor's decaff coffee with soy cream and sugar.  It was really good too.  I think desserts are definitely better in spoonfuls rather than large servings.  

My physical reaction to the meal was to the salt and chocolate.  I have been thirsty ever since (it's 7 am the next morning) and my fingers are still swollen.  And I was a bit affected by the caffeine in the chocolate.  I slept a good 6 hours though.    I am not sure when I will be hungry again!  Tonight (next day), we're probably going to Indian.  Let's hope I behave somewhat...

Blog Archive