Journey Home

This is long overdue, but I have finally settled down enough and caught up on the essential things of life, so much so that I can now put up some pictures and tell you about my cross-country trip in September from California to Michigan. Well, I loaded up on Thursday night so I could take off right after work on Friday. I had bought a little trailer that I pulled behind my jeep with the things I had accumulated during my year and a half in CA. (Click on the pictures to make them bigger)


My first stop, about 600 miles out of the way, was to the Grand Canyon, where I was very fortunate to have a friend who works there. As a result I got a grand tour and accommodations for almost free.


One thing that amazed me, besides the overwhelming sense of awe standing on the edge of a very huge canyon, was the Scripture written on plaques around the canyon that truly captured the presence of God in creating such a wonderful sight.


I actually spent two days there and was grateful for the chance to see this natural wonder of the world. I took way too many pictures that all look almost identical now that I try to sort them out, so I won't bother posting any more. Needless to say, if you ever can make the time and take the opportunity, the Grand Canyon is very much a place one should see before they die. It was well worth the drive and cost of gas to get there.

I had determined to take my time and see all the things I could as I drove cross-country, presuming that I would not be making a trip like this anytime in the near future, if ever again in my life. So, just before I left AZ, I came across a sign advertising a Meteor Crater, which intrigued me enough to check it out.




There was a museum and very interesting exhibits explaining meteors and various locations around the planet, and other planetary bodies, where meteors have impacted. It was fascinating having just left the Grand Canyon to stand on the edge of this "hole in the ground" created by some random hurtling mass of cosmic debris. The former being almost profound. This one being slightly shocking.

I moved on, stopping when I got tired, hungry, etc. My next sight seeing stop was the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. This was truly a sober visit. Having visited many types of memorials over the years, there is something amazing about the ability humans have memorialize/capture/"freeze frame" an historical event. The symbolism, imagery, colors, textures, themes, etc., that are used in such places amazes me. This memorial succeeds at providing a peaceful place, honorable of the lives and deaths of those who were there, and inspiring for those who remain/visit.




In case you need help configuring all of this, here is a blueprint of the before and after of the site.


One of the more touching parts of this stop was a memorial that one of the churches erected on the corner of their property adjacent to the Federal Building. The church's parsonage had been damaged in the bombing and was eventually razed. In its place they put a monument titled "Jesus Wept", in reference to the shortest verse in the Bible, when Jesus mourned at the tomb of his friend Lazarus. It depicts Jesus covering his face in grief facing away from the bombing memorial, but toward a wall with 167 "cubbies" in it, representing the lives of all those lost in the bombing. It was truly a profound memorial in itself.


I traveled on from here to visit 3 Presidential Museums over the following 3 days. In order to not make this post too long, I will end this one here and create another one to contain my tour of Presidential history.

Blog Archive