Mrs. Bunyard's Nutty Orange Coffee Cake

This has to be one of the best desserts I have ever tasted. And since a friend has asked for a copy of it, I thought I would just post it here for anyone else as the weather gets colder. It's great with a cup of coffee or hot tea [it's probably required since this is so rich]. Let me know if you try it. I had it originally at the Bunyard's in Meridian, MS. I don't know who invented it, but I'm giving the credit to Carolyn Bunyard, a wonderful cook and hostess. God bless you for this dessert, Mrs. Bunyard.

Mrs. Bunyard's Nutty Orange Coffee Cake
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 (8 oz) package reduced-fat cream cheese
2 (11 oz) cans refrigerated buttermilk buscuits
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sifted powder sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

  • Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside [I have learned that I like my pieces covered more fully, so I generally use heaping helpings on these three ingredients. Having extra is fine--you can always just pour the excess on top before cooking.]
  • Place about 1 teaspoon cream cheese on half of each biscuit; fold biscuit over cheese, pressing edges to seal.
  • Dip biscuits in melted butter and dredge in sugar mixture; place, curved side down, in a lightly greased 12-cup Bundt pan, spacing evenly. Drizzle any remaining butter over biscuits; sprinkle with any remaining mixture.
  • Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Immediately invert onto a serving plate.
  • Combine powdered sugar and orange juice, stirring well; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Serve immediately.

Blog Archive