"If you love Me you must love the Church."

This is a quote from a Derek Webb song that I really love.  I think of it every once in a while as I have been "church shopping" for almost 3 years now.  There are so many churches that "do church" badly, that I find it difficult to get out of bed on some Sundays.  I agree with the title of this post and I have had to challenge myself to look past much of what I feel is wrong with the church in order to motivate myself to keep going. 

Recently, I found a great church that "does church" the way I feel it is supposed to be done.  But even here, there is something lacking.  Even here it is hard to get up in the morning to attend.  Yes, I want to worship God in a corporate setting.  But going to church for God alone, if there is no connection with other believers, makes it very difficult. 

Well, I say all this to introduce a quote I came across on BTW from the authors of that book "Why We Love the Church".  Here's the quote:
Perhaps Christians are leaving the church because it isn't tolerant and open-minded. But perhaps the church-leavers have their own intolerance too--intolerant of tradition, intolerant of authority, intolerant of imperfection except their own. Are you open-minded enough to give the church a chance--a chance for the church to be the church, not a coffee shop, not a mall, not a variety show, not Chuck E. Cheese, not a U2 concert, not a nature walk, but a wonderfully ordinary, blood-bought, Spirit-driven church with pastors, sermons, budgets, hymns, bad carpet and worse coffee?
It sounds like this is a book worth looking into.  I don't think I'm intolerant.  But I know I am needy.  I need community.  I need to know that when I am not at church (for whatever reason), it will be noticed and matters to someone (in addition to God).  I do love the Church and believe I must if I truly love Jesus, who gave himself up for Her.  But at times it just feels like I'm in a loveless marriage playing my part.  I am looking for something more and I think that is right.

Blog Archive