mar. 25 food

This morning we stopped at the flagship Whole Foods store in Austin TX.  It is impressive.  It occupies an entire block.  Here's me dwarfed by it:














It was pretty fun, I have to admit.  They had a raw vegan bar and I decided I was allowed a treat.  It was a chocolate pudding with a nut crust, and it was a nice small serving.  All the ingredients were "allowed" (no oil, salt, okay some agave nectar but it was a treat).    Then I was going to get a juice at the juice bar but the juicer was broken.  Travel-mate got a smoothie and I was asking the smoothie-maker what's a good one and she didn't have an opinion, so I decided oh well, I don't need one since I have my pudding.  Sensing the loss of a sale she suggested one that a lot of people get that's not on the menu.  I don't recall what it was.  It has acai (?) berries in it which are supposed to be one of those wonder-foods.  I said, okay, I'll get it.  And it was excellent.  I'm glad I got it.  So that was my brekky:  the pudding and the smoothie.  more than enough but enjoyable.  The only problem was that the chocolate affected me.   I don't enjoy caffeine buzzes anymore.  I buzzed for 7 hours, then was tired.   So I guess chocolate will have to go off my list of allowed foods.  It's a bit sad but not heartbreaking.  Really, the smoothie was as good or better.  So I think I can survive with other treats besides chocolate.

For lunch we had food from the Whole Foods salad bars.  Mine was salad greens, fruit, peas and edamame:















Travel-mate had roasted potatoes (super salty!), some rice dishes, peas and corn:















For dinner, I finally started eating my now-thawed split pea and carrot soup (from the fuhrman forums, was in my freezer for a few weeks), over spinach.  yummy.  I'll have the rest of that for brekky tomorrow.  and I had some carrots and celery and an apple and a mango (okay, should have held off on the mango).

Tomorrow we start camping for 4 nights, so no blogging.  I got tons of good food from Whole foods.  I'm planning to make "Gorgeous garlic greens soup" from Compassionate Cooks (you have to pay $5 to get the recipe packet).  and a corn chowder if that runs out (with kale, potatoes, onions, corn, soy milk).  I forgot that recipe so will just make it up.   I will have salads and fruit for brekky until they run out.  then I'll figure something out.  we have lots of canned beans and veggies and potatoes and onions, etc.  I forgot to get oranges but have apples and banana.


Blog Archive