lentils and rice

I decided if I need to eat beans, I probably would prefer having rice with them.  It seems easier to digest that way--maybe just because I'm not eating as many beans in a serving.  So here's an easy lentil rice dish that I can cook while I'm out running errands in the morning, and no soaking required the night before.

Ingredients:
2 cups lentils
1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup goji berries (optional)
1 leek or onion
1.5 cups carrot and/or beet juice (adds a nice flavor and is healthy).
several cups water (sorry forgot how many)
2-3 stalks celery, chopped

rinse the lentils and rice if you think they need it.  then combine everything and cook for 1-2 hours.  easy peasy.   I didn't add the carrot juice until I got home from yoga class because I didn't have time to make it beforehand.  no problem.  it's a forgiving recipe.  it didn't need spices because the carrot juice and goji berries added flavor, but of course, add your favorite spices if you wish.  

nutritional info for 1 cup:  calories 210, protein 10 g (20%), carbs 39 g (76%), fat less than 1 g (4%).  Wow, this is a high-protein, low-fat dish!  

Blog Archive