essene cookie

This was my first experiment making essene bread--which is made from sprouted grains.  I used 30 g of wheatberries.   That was about 1/8 cup or so.  I decided to go very small for my first experiment.  I followed strix's advice from her blog.  I didn't have any "equipment" so I used a colander like strix suggested.  Well, first I soaked the wheatberries overnight in a bowl of water, then rinsed them, then soaked some more, then  put them in the colander overnight in a pan with a towel over it.  




























I rinsed them again, and then put them back under the towel a few times.  By tonight the sprouts were about half the size of the grain so I decided to make them up.  I ground them in my coffee grinder--didn't work so great because they were soggy.  I added 20 g of raisins (~ 1/8 cup) and ground them up too.  I forgot to add vanilla.  I put it on a pizza pan and shaped it like a cookie and baked at 200 F for 30 minutes, turned it over and let sit in the warm oven for another 10 minutes.  It was pretty good.   I think it needed more grinding though.  But that small quantity wouldn't grind in the blender or food processor---I suppose I could have used the juicer.

Blog Archive