essene bread

This is experiment #2 with essene bread.  

Ingredients:
1/2 cup kamut berries
1/3 cup raisins

I soaked the berries overnight, then put them in a bell jar.  I stopped at an expensive kitchen store (conveniently located or I wouldn't have bothered), and asked if they had sprouting jars.  I'm not sure they knew what they were, and they didn't have them.  I also had to make a stop at the hardware store next door for something else and on a whim I said, hey do you have sprouting jars?  The woman said, no, but we have some nylon mesh you can try.  After spending 79 cents on a big piece of nylon, I cut out a circular piece and put it in my bell jar lid--worked like a charm.  





















Then screwed on the lid.  This does make for easier rinsing.  So I rinsed them and put the can on it's side with a towel over them (darkness), and let them sprout, rinsing every 8 hours or so (5-12 depending on when I was home).  













It only took about a day to get the spouts about half the size of the berry.  Then I combined the berries and raisins in the blender.  This wasn't quite enough to blend easily so I had to do a lot of smashing with the plunger and reblending.    Then I put it in the oven for over an hour at 250 degrees.  It sticks to the pan.  I forgot to use parchment paper like strix suggests.  I used corn meal but you'd need a lot for that to work and I didn't use much.  It still turned out good.  more on that in my next post.

Blog Archive