red beans and salad

One of my old favorite recipes is red beans and rice, and fatfreevegan.com has a great recipe for it.  I made it today and forgot to buy rice, so had it over salad.  I really liked it.  

Ingredients:
red beans (from fatfreevegan.com)
chopped salad greens (lettuce, arugula, baby greens, spinach, or whatever else you have in the fridge)
some dried fruit (apple, apricot, mango, etc)
if you have a fresh red bell pepper, that's good too, chopped up.  or some cucumber would probably be good too.  

chop the dried fruit and soak it in some warm bean broth for 15 minutes, or microwave for 30 seconds.

Pour the red beans over the salad, add in the chopped dried fruit and red bell pepper.  I thought this had more flavor with the dried fruit.   I don't eat salt anymore so sometimes old favorite recipes can taste a little bland without something to perk them up.  

Blog Archive