U.S. Supreme Court Declares Your Children are Yours to Raise

In Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U.S. 1076 (1925) the U.S. Supreme Court struck down an Oregon law which required all children to attend public school. The Court declared: “The fundamental theory of liberty upon which all governments in this Union repose excludes any general power of the state to standardize its children by forcing them to accept instruction from public teachers only. The child is not the mere creature of the state; those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right, coupled with the high duty, to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations.” The Court emphasized that “the liberty of parents and guardians to direct the upbringing and education of children under their control” is guaranteed by the 14th Amendment. Pierce at 1078.

Hm - that's interesting in light of certain things going on.  My wife just sent me this article because she's researching home schooling stats and home schoolers catch a lot of grief - biggest complaint I get for our kids being homeschooled? "What about social skills?"

Let me tell YOU.  My highschool - public highschool - produces a lot of navy nuclear engineers. But in terms of social skills?  Yeah - like - um - me running for my life in PE because I was more athletic than our stupid football team and could show them up on too many things to where they had to gang up on me after school?  Is that the social skills everyone's talking about?

Cuz if that's what they are talking about - my kids don't need that.  And I'm not willing to put them through that even once while I sigh and say I'm a victim of circumstances and can't protect my kids.  That and I'd have a hard time not kicking someone's ass for their kids messing with mine and show them what it feels like to be bullied and threatened so they know what it feels like for other kids a the hands of theirs.

Blog Archive