"Not Take It On As My Own"

This is a wonderful recounting of personal thoughts by the US Airways Flight 1549 Pilot, whom everyone is calling a hero. The title of the piece in Newsweek is "All I Wanted Was to Talk to My Family, and Get Some Dry Socks". It reflects not just a humble man, but a very circumspect one. In particular is his understanding of how to handle people's gratitude and the "instant fame" that came as a result of his "just doing his job". He explains:
"It's been a difficult adjustment, initially because of the "hero" mantle that was pushed in my direction. I felt for a long time that that wasn't an appropriate word. As my wife, Lorrie, pointed out on "60 Minutes," a hero is someone who decides to run into a burning building. This was different—this was a situation that was thrust upon us. I didn't choose to do what I did. That was why initially I decided that if someone offered me the gift of their thankfulness, I should accept it gratefully—but then not take it on as my own."
This is such a discerning point of distinction for us. I would love to know what this man's faith is. But this perspective is very consistently Christian, as I can tell. There are so many times when we do a kindness, or offer something that is insignificant to us (maybe five bucks or fifteen minutes), but is huge to someone in need. Not that this compares to skillfully saving the lives of 155 people. But the response should really be the same: accept the thankfulness, but don't own it.

Be gracious to those to whom my small action has meant a lot, but don't swell up with pride at how generous or amazing I am, as if to keep tally of all my good deeds, both small and great. That's never the point of being kind, nor of doing your duty (Luke 17:10 "So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'"). And when it comes to helping the poor, a neighbor, or a stranded motorist, let us not be confused -- helping is our duty.

Blog Archive