feb 22 food

Brekky:  small morning smoothie

snack:  apple

lunch:  pureed turnip and rutabaga, peas and carrots

snack:  fruit salad (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, banana--split with housemate)--really good.   several carrots while preparing dinner.  made a large batch of smoothies for housemate and added too much juice so ended up eating about 6-8 0z of leftover smoothie.  it was yummy

late dinner:  split pea and carrot soup; 0.5 oz walnuts.  The soup recipe is another wild and crazy one from Fuhrman.  It has lots of carrots and carrot juice, an entire bunch of celery, 2 bunches of greens, and 4 zucchinis!   You puree the zucchinis and greens after cooking.  It is not the prettiest looking soup with those dark greens, but it tastes quite good, and is super nutritious.

total calories:  1550; protein 54 g; carbs 300 g; fat 26 g (15% of total).  Notice how much protein it is--plenty!  Half that was from the 3 bowls of soup.  I didn't eat enough nuts and seeds--I'm still working up to that after last week's extreme unpleasantness.  Also I need to eat them earlier in the day because that's when I exercise.   Today I was hungry and very tired after riding my bike and snow shoveling.  

Also, I think instead of making soy milk (e.g., for the pureed veggies), I'll use pureed pumpkin seeds (or other nut/seed) and water.  My soy milk maker makes more than I like to drink before it gets old, and the seeds are probably healthier and will give me some needed fat and calories.  

Also Fuhrman says you shouldn't snack but I was hungry today after several days of not eating enough.  

Finally, what do you think about my eating berries out of season from South America?  Is it unethical?  I do it partly because I can now and I don't know if I will be able to in the future.  Now I'm fully employed and food transportation prices are still relatively cheap.  In the future I could lose my job and oil will get much more expensive.  So I figure why not enjoy it while I can.  But if it's unethical, I'll reconsider--I guess it's bad for global warming--on the other hand, shipping such large volumes in those gigantic containers in those gigantic boats is actually quite efficient compared to driving your car to the store (and I bike anyway).  I get fair trade, organic bananas.  The berries are organic, but not fair trade. 

Blog Archive