Bees and Debaters

I recently watched a couple of great movies that I wanted to pass on.

The Secret Life of Bees with an all-star cast was a wonderfully inspiring movie taking place in 1963 and following the struggle of Blacks to vote and a white girl to reconcile her past and her place in the world. The script is witty, powerful, and realistic. The music is moving. I actually watched it twice before I had to return it - something I've never done before. Although it has a young girl in the movie, it is not recommended for kids under 12.
Here's a trailer:





I then re-watched the movie The Great Debaters, which is based on the real-life events of
Wiley College and the amazing debate team of 1935. The speeches and quotes from great literature were inspiring. It reminded me in many ways of another favorite movie of mine, The Emporer's Club.
Here's a trailer:

Blog Archive