refrigerator soup

This is the soup you make when you are leaving town and don't want your veggies to go to waste so you throw them all into a pot. It was really good. Of course, it will vary, depending on what you have.

Ingredients:
whatever is in your fridge and pantry. I used:
2 patty pan squash
3 carrots
2 small eggplants
1/2 sweet potato
1 cup green beans
1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower---cut into about 4 big pieces, not small
a bunch of tomatoes (1-2 lbs?)
a couple green bell peppers
2 cups dried white beans--soaked over night and cooked in pressure cooker for 10 minutes
(or cook 3-4 hours on stove, or 2 cans of beans already cooked)
juice of 1 lemon
herbs from the garden: parsley, basil, chives, cilantro
corn (optional)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds

First I cooked up the beans and let them cool (I was doing other things). Then I cooked up the vegetables in the bean juice in the pressure cooker. It just turned into a soup. I took out the big cauliflower pieces, put them in the blender with 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds and 1/4 cup hemp seeds. Then added that back to the soup. That made it a nice a creamy soup. It seemed to need something else so I added a little less than 1/4 cup nutritional yeast. I chopped up the herbs and added that. Then it was really good. I froze it in big bowls (below). I look forward to eating it when I return home. I will probably eat it with greens. Note, I would have added frozen corn to it and it would have been a nice "chowder", but I have been getting tummy aches lately when I eat corn (I always overeat corn so that's probably why). Our corn is so sweet, you probably wouldn't need the nutritional yeast flavoring--or maybe it would be good too.


Blog Archive