Playing on the "Green Team"

I came across this story, which sounds vaguely familiar to another one I heard about before. If I find the other one, I'll link it. But the gist is that one high school football team allowed the other team to score a touchdown for a very special reason. The video looks like your average HS football game, but what is happening there is so much more. Here's the video. And here's the back story.

“I’ve got a special situation,” McCamy remembers telling [the opposing team's] defensive coach David McEnaney. “I know you guys want to get a shutout. Most teams would want a shutout, but in this situation I want to know if maybe you can let one of my guys run in for a touchdown.”...

As he headed across the field to talk to McEnaney, McCamy wasn’t sure what the reaction would be. He asked the players to avoid physical contact with Ziesel but to make it as real as possible for him.

“The (Maryville) players, they didn’t hesitate at all,” McEnaney said. “They jumped right on board.”

And so Matt Ziesel ran a sweep to the right and just kept going.
Jimmy, I hope you get to be on a "Green Team" one day. That's what true compassion and sportsmanship looks like.

Blog Archive