Easy Daal

Ingredients:
2 cups yellow or red daal lentils
0.5-1 head garlic, depending on how much you like garlic
1 large onion, or a few mediums
1 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander (optional--I think I prefer without it)
1 tsp ground cumin
~1 Tbsp fresh ginger or 0.5 tsp ground dried
1 can tomatoes
fresh cilantro

Rinse the lentils. Then add water to cover, add everything else except the cilantro. Then add more water, say 2 inches above the lentils. Cook for an hour or until tender. Add water if needed. I made mine thick today, partly because I was gone for 4 hours while it kept cooking. I was good though. I used the food processor to chop the ginger (after peeling outer skin), then garlic, then onion because I had to get to my exercise class. So I got everything going in 10 minutes. Add a little chopped cilantro to the pot at the end, or as a garnish in your bowl. I also added to my bowl a little lemon, and grapes! I am on a fruit kick. I plan to experiment more with spice amounts, to find out which I like better than others.

Blog Archive