Review of Avatar

Here is an intriguing quote from the NYT's review of James Cameron's latest blockbuster, Avatar:
"Religion exists, in part, precisely because humans aren’t at home amid these cruel rhythms. We stand half inside the natural world and half outside it. We’re beasts with self-consciousness, predators with ethics, mortal creatures who yearn for immortality.

This is an agonized position, and if there’s no escape upward — or no God to take on flesh and come among us, as the Christmas story has it — a deeply tragic one.

Pantheism offers a different sort of solution: a downward exit, an abandonment of our tragic self-consciousness, a re-merger with the natural world our ancestors half-escaped millennia ago.

But except as dust and ashes, Nature cannot take us back."
It is interesting to hear such thoughts expressed in the NYT. Maybe I'm not as critical a thinker as I need to be, or I'm secure in my world view, but this neither bothered me, nor seduced me while I was watching it. I actually found the movie quite amazing and well-worth the watching in the theater.

I have read this critical review knocking the movie as an "anti-war politic[al] movie". But after watching the film, I walked away thinking I agreed with the movie's "agenda" as I understand it. It really was more of an anti-colonialism movie, which I can proudly say America does NOT embrace this ideology. Yes, we have a history of it, but not anymore. And as we look back and see the destruction that colonialism had on a native people, this movie portrays that well. No one group of people has the right to enslave or exile another group for the first group's own benefit - no matter how you slice it. That was the political message I got. Additionally, the "anti-war" agenda that was present was more tied to this use of the military, more than a pure "anti-war" theme. Of course, there were the stereo-typical strawmen comments/arguments in the movie. But overall, they are easily over-looked for the benefit of the rest of the movie.

As I saw it, it was a brilliant and redeeming portrayal of an ugly historical theme. World history has reflected the battle of colonialism countless times. The movie portrayed it in a future setting in another world. Aside from that, it was fascinating, creative, beautiful, and moving, as well as scientifically curious related to the "avatar" technology. I overlooked the pantheism the movie presented - it actually reminded me of a Native American culture, which was not offensive to me. I highly recommend this movie. It's great eye candy.


Blog Archive