Dr. Fuhrman's Eating Plan

I realize I never posted what Dr. Fuhrman recommends you eat on a daily basis. It's pretty simple.

Eat at least:
1 lb raw veggies (e.g., leafy greens, snow peas, raw peas, cucumbers, sprouts, carrots, peppers, and tomatoes)
1 lb cooked veggies (e.g., leafy and non-leafy greens, including string beans, broccoli, artichokes, asparagus, zucchini, kale, collards, cabbage, brussels sprouts, bok choy, okra, swiss chard, turnip greens, escarole, beet greens, spinach, dandelion greens, broccoli raab, cauliflower, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and water chestnuts)
1 cup beans, beans sprouts, or tofu
4 servings of fruit

Eat limited amounts of these foods:
1 cup or less starchy veggies and grains (e.g., winter squash, corn, potatoes, rice, cooked carrots, sweet potato, bread, cereals).
1-2 oz nuts and seeds (0.5-1 oz if you need to lose weight, more if you need to gain)
dried fruits (1-2 oz or less), fruit juices (1/2 cup or less), none if you are trying to lose weight.

Avoid:
salt, oil, caffeine, alcohol, refined grains, sugar.

I find I get plenty to eat with the veggies (including some starchy), beans, fruit and nuts and seeds, and those are my favorite foods anyway. I think grains taste boring, except I do like barley in soup occasionally, and I like oats occasionally too.

Blog Archive