Concealed Handgun Licenses and the police

I got pulled over again the other day for "exceeding the posted speed limit."  At any rate, in Oregon, I'm not required to show my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to a police officer, nor declare that I'm carrying, but I do.  As a courtesy to an officer from a former officer, I hand it to them. 

I was pegged for 10 over (it is Oregon y'all - I don't know what its like anywhere else but 10 over can get you pulled over - that's okay - I've pulled people over for 7 over.) and then for being on my cell-phone, no proof of registration (other than my tags) and only a bill showing insurance on my van.....and a CHL.

"Are you armed?"

"Yes sir, I have a handgun under my seat."

"Please don't make any sudden movements."

I keep my hands on the wheel just like I tried to get people to do for a felony stop.  He asked for registration and I told him I needed to get in the glove box and I reached over while he put his hand on his Glock as I reached.  I told him I used to hate standing where he was. 

"You were a cop?"

"Yes, sir."

"Where at?"

I had one of my Navy hats on and I pointed to it, "Guantanamo was my first assignment."

Police don't like talking to you while you have a gun in the car.

I was informed it was my lucky day and that he was just establishing presence there and was told to go on my way - they don't even look at my stuff - just tell me to go.

If you have the CHL - they already know you're not a felon because you have to pass an FBI check to have one (unless you committed a felony since getting it and they haven't taken it back yet). 

Anyways - getting a ticket would have just been the frosting on the cake for me at this point.....but thank Heavens I didn't get one.  Now, I'll just trust in God to help me with some other things that are bugging me that are completely out of my control in my life.

Blog Archive