Movies I've Watched: "From Here to Eternity" (1953).

If you enjoy "Perry Mason" (which I do) you'll probably enjoy "From Here to Eternity." A drama set in World War II (Filmed only 8 years after it) this is a story about a Private trying to make his way through the Army as he's being hazed by the Seargent Major on behalf of the Captain in order to get the Private to box for the Captain's batallion boxing team but refusing, meanwhile, the Seargent Major is sleeping with the Captain's wife - and tensions flare. An all-star cast, including Frank Sinatr and Burt Lancaster, the movie takes place just before Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

I enjoy the movie as it just has a taste from yester-century before everything got flipped on its head, and a nice hint of life in a simpler time. I do enjoy a good witticism, and back then - well - they were a bit wittier in a different way than our age.  It's just an easy going movie. The trailer sucks - totally doesn't catch what the movie is about - but - it's a classic.  Not quite sure why, but - just nice to silence the noise of 2010/2011 for a while and go back in time for a few hours.

Although my favorite line is:
Captains wife: "If you're interested, I have a swimsuit under my dress..."
Seargent Major: "Me too!"
(They had fruit in 1941 too - lol - that or he wasn't thinking - or we are wittier than they were in this regards)

Blog Archive