Drifting Away

At my church's men's retreat in the Spring the guest speaker referenced this quote by C.S. Lewis. I was not familiar with it and it has taken me til now to look it up.
"We have to be continually reminded of what we believe. Neither this belief nor any other will automatically remain alive in the mind. It must be fed. And as a matter of fact, if you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?" - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
This is particularly poignant for me as I consider the value of routine and personal discipline in life. There is eternal significance to creating good habits AND bad habits. I didn't go to church this morning. I actually slept in. There is no great sin in not attending church every Sunday. Sometimes one actually needs a true Sabbath. "Sometimes," as a wise elder once told me, "the most spiritual thing you can do is go to sleep." But these "sometimes" can turn into habits (or erode good habits) that are safety nets for our faith.

Who can tell which drop causes a glass to overflow. So too, which step (or inaction) is the step that shipwrecks our faith?  Be careful lest  you fall from your secure position, Peter warned.  Not only should we guard our hearts and take captive every thought, but we should also subject our bodies and its natural urges for sleep, satisfaction, and comfort to the lordship of Christ, lest we drift away by not paying attention.

Blog Archive