Floppy Ears

I was reading an interesting article regarding some recent scientific studies that challenge what the mainstream believes about evolution.  The article is interesting enough, but my take-away was this line:
"...not every trait a creature possesses is necessarily adaptive. Some just come along for the ride: for example, genes that express as tameness in domesticated foxes and dogs also seem to express as floppy ears, for no evident reason."
Probably the most adorable trait of my basset hound, and the one that has intrigued me the most is just that - his floppy ears.  If size is an indicator of degree, basset hounds must be the most tame dogs out there.  He is very playful and I have not seen any indicators of aggression, except towards a ball or rope.

But the other issue with his ears that has been floating through my mind is all the uses his ears seem to serve.  Just to name a few:
  • Sponges - no matter what he drinks, his ears seem to soak up at least half as much.
  • Pillows - his ears are really soft and if I had two silky-soft bags hanging from each side of my head, I'd be napping just as much as he does. 
  • Eye covers - you know those mask-like things some people wear at night or on airplanes.  Well, if he has laid his head on one ear, the other drapes over his eyes like one of those masks - very useful.
  • Rakes - as he walks along and follows a scent with his nose, his ears seem to be raking up all the debris along side his head.  Maybe that's the way he "kicks up" stuff to find what he's looking for. 
Well, whatever function or purpose his ears possess, they are adorable.


Blog Archive