More Thoughts On Home Schooling & Socialization.....

In regards to the post from yesterday on when to rely on experts and when to trust our gut - I thought I'd comment on home-schooling this morning in regards to a thought I had while watching a family movie on TV that my daughter loves as I got ready for church. 

Our children are home-schooled by my wife.   I went to a public school.  My wife did half and half of public and home.  I think that rounds us out as a family in order to have a good discussion about it.

The number one concern people express to us is "what about socialization?" in terms of children being home schooled.

What about socialization?

I know I've commented on it before but I thought I'd ask....what socialization do we see in school that is so superior to children being raised in a healthy and loving family?

Where is it?

When I look at teens and children, where are the role models today?   Peers who look to media on sex and morals and who's parents aren't in their lives either?

What kind of a recipe for character development is that?

I drove by Tualatin High School yesterday - or the day before - scoping out the swimming pool for work activities.  I saw a sign hanging up in the main entrance above everything that said "EXCEED EXPECTATIONS!"

break room
I laughed.  Who takes those seriously?  Why should I? If I'm in school - why should I exceed someone else's expectations? Why?  How about "lower expectations" so it's easier to achieve them?

I just - I hate the slogans that are supposed to motivate you - but really just is a means to keep me from troubling someone else but really aren't about my life in any depth - the kind you see about teamwork in crappy breakrooms at crappy jobs everywhere.

At any rate, the family really is the best means of support - for contrast I've compared a break room with a family room in terms of support and wholesomeness - realizing that both of these are someone's idea of what we need for support and sustainence to help us become and do what we care capable of - I see the difference....and that's why I think home-schooling is better because the support and recognition are better.

family room

Thanks to my wife for pushing this with me and being able to show me this is better and she can do a better job!  Our kids deserve it.

Blog Archive