yesterday and today

When following Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" plan, you measure your food intake by weight rather than calories. Here's a brief description of his recommendations. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I weighed all my food. Here's what I ate:

Brekky: blended salad & 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds (I eat the seeds after my workout, and the blended salad when I get home)

Lunch: last of the kale-fennel soup on steamed veggies (broccoli and cauliflower) and baby bok choy. raw carrots for dessert.

Dinner: spinach & apple & veggie salad with edamame. raw carrots & celery.

This turned out to be 2 lbs or raw veggies (!), and about 1/2 lb of cooked; 4 servings of fruit, probably 1 cup of beans, and 1.5 oz of seeds. That's twice as many raw veggies and half as many cooked as recommended. So I guess it is pretty easy to eat the recommended amount of veggies. I woke up hungry today. I wonder if the raw veggies don't digest as well as cooked so less calories are used. So if you want to lose weight, eat more raw veggies. I don't need to lose weight but I really like chewing on the raw veggies.

Today I had the usual brekky (sunflower seeds & blended salad); lunch was raw veggies and black bean hummus. Visitor Kenny confirmed that this is his favorite meal. Dinner was a yummy salad with grapefruit and leftover raw veggies from lunch. And I am a little hungry again at bedtime. So I probably need more cooked veggies. But I didn't have much time today to cook. Tomorrow will be hectic too, but I'll try to cook up my kale.

Blog Archive