Seed Mixture

I've noticed when I eat whole sunflower and pumpkin seeds, they don't always fully digest. Um, how do I know that? I think you can figure it out. So I decided to grind my seeds. But not all of them need to be ground. Here's what I prepared today.

1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/8 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup walnuts or other nut, chopped (optional)

(I put in more of the ones I like better). I put the sesame and flax seeds in my vita-mix "dry" container, and they grind up nicely in about 5-10 seconds on high. Pour them out, then grind up the sunflower and pumpkin, but not as finely as the flax and sesame--because I like the texture of some small pieces. Put in the walnuts for a quick chop, add them with the hemp and chia seeds to the mixture, and stir it all up. Here's the result:




















I store in the freezer. These are good to add to everything--salads, soups, steamed veggies, smoothies. In the salads, combined with orange, lime juice, or flavored vinegar, it makes a nice nutty little dressing.

Note, you can use any combination of nuts and seeds you want or have on hand.   Here's a post I wrote about the nutritional content of nuts and seeds, and here are a couple of articles by Dr. Fuhrman on them:  here and here.

Blog Archive